[labnetwork] Like to join

Weaver, John R jrweaver at purdue.edu
Wed Aug 6 08:53:49 EDT 2008

I met several of you at the UGIM in Louisville in July, and heard about
this e-mail group.  I would like to join, if possible.

I am the Facility Manager of the Birck Nanotechnology Center at Purdue.
I'm new to academia, having joined Purdue in the concept, design, and
construction of the BNC.  While I have 35 years of industrial experience
in designing, building, and operating cleanrooms, I have found this is a
whole new world!  Any help that I can get from those of you who have
more experience in the academic setting would be GREATLY appreciated.
We have been open since October 2005, but spent approximately one year
installing the equipment in the facility.  It was near the end of 2006
that we became "fully operational."  That said, we are installing a new
major piece of equipment approximately once/two months.

approximately six million dollars.  Half of that is provided by the
university, another million is a utility stipend provided by the state,
and two million is generated through recharge.  Most of the recharge is
from internal users.  I don't have the hard numbers handy, but I would
estimate about $60k is from outside users.  We are working very hard in
an attempt to grow that number.

I have a staff of 25 who keep the facility operating.  The breakdown is
as follows:

1 Building Manager - Infrastructure

1 Facility Engineer - Infrastructure

1 Building Logistics Coordinator - general building issues, building
training

1 Building Logistics Assistant - general building issues

1 Process and Equipment Manager - Operations

10 Process and Equipment Owners (engineers) - Operations

1 Operations Logistics Coordinator - supplies purchasing, stocking,
control

1 Safety Manager - safety engineer, industrial hygienist

1 Biosafety Officer - biologist

3 Lab Attendants - off-shift monitoring and first-response

3 Staff Scientists - Ph.D.'s with strong technical expertise in key
areas (half-time research, half-time staff)

1 Part-time wire-bonding staff member

Additionally, Purdue University Physical Facilities have three full-time
trades assigned to the building, an Indoor-Air-Quality Technician, an
electrician, and a plumber.  A supervisor is shared with other buildings
within our zone.  Other trades can be called upon from the zone and from
Purdue Shops.  All of this activity is coordinated through the Building
Manager.

This is a quite large, but very new, organization.  We have received a
long-term commitment from the university to sustain the operation at
this level for an indefinite period.  The justification is based on the
income to the university through overhead on research grants.  The
sustainability plan was put together prior to the construction of the
facility, and we are walking down the original path that was conceived
several years ago.

I hope this information was helpful.  My contact information is:

John Weaver

Facility Manager

Birck Nanotechnology Center

1205 West State Street