[labnetwork] UGIM update

Katalin Voros voros at silicon.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Aug 13 20:32:12 EDT 2008

Dear Colleagues:

Last month we had a very interesting and successful UGIM;
those of you who were there can testify. We had great
discussions on all aspects of university labs management,
funding, and future directions. I found it amazing and
encouraging how well university labs developed over the
last ten years, how hard involved faculty and their lab
staff (if any) work to match the ever broading research
and/or educational needs of their departments and institutions,
and how aware we all are of long-term financial needs and
ramifications. Besides our informal discussions, the above
was eminently proved by the excellent quality of papers presented.
http://louisville.edu/conference/ugim2008/

I would like to thank again Prof. Kevin Walsh and his team at the
U. of Louisville, KY for the excellent organization and a great venue.

As a member of the UGIM Steering Committee, I would like to inform
you that representatives from Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN),
Prof. Tim Sands, Director of the Birck Nanotechnology Center, and
John Weaver, Facility Manager, accepted to organize the next symposium,
UGIM 2010. Look for further information and call for papers in about a
year here on the labnetwork list.

Until then, we will communicate, as we have been for the past 13 years,
through labnetwork at mtl.mit.edu. Do not hesitate sending questions to
the community, people involved in running university labs, and offering
your assistance if you know the answer. We all deal with similar
problems; why not help each other? Pls encourage others who are in
the same boat, to sign up.

Thank you, Prof. Duane Boning of MIT, for maintaining the
labnetwork list. Automatic sign up is at
https://www-mtl.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo.cgi/labnetwork
or by sending mail to majordomo at mtl.mit.edu with "subscribe
labnetwork" as the body, or simply mail labnetwork at mit.edu.

The old "Laboratories Subway" list of labs, is at
http://www-mtl.mit.edu/semisubway/fabs_subway.html.
It is somewhat dated; however, if you do not see your lab on it
pls write to labnetwork at mit.edu and, time permitting, your facility
will appear on it.

Finally, here is the updated list of the UGIM Steering Committee:

Dr. Greg Cibuzar, Chair	                   (cibuzar at umn.edu)
Dr. Kevin Walsh, Past Conference Chair     (walsh at louisville.edu)
Dr. Tim Sands, 2010 Conference Chair       (tsands at purdue.edu)
Dr. Lynn Fuller, Honorary At Large         (lffeee at rit.edu)
Dr. Rob Pierce, At Large                   (repemc at rit.edu)
Katalin Voros, At Large                    (voros at eecs.berkeley.edu)
John Wood, At Large                        (wood at me.unm.edu)

Sincerely
              Katalin Voros
KATALIN VOROS
Principal Development Engineer
Microlab Operations Manager
Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences
University of California at Berkeley
406 Cory Hall #1770
Berkeley, CA 94720-1770
phone: (510) 642-2716