[labnetwork] LN2 Dewar filling controllers

Bob Hamilton bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 26 15:46:09 EDT 2010

Keith Bradshaw,

I am about to install a Magnatrol 24V direct acting cryogenic fill valve
on our fill station. We will preserve our manual shutoff valve and add a
1-hour spring wound timer for fills. We've found fills times for our 160
L cylinders takes about an hour given our bulk tank pressure of 40 psi
and expect it to take longer, in the future, when we raise this 3000
gallon tank from 40 to 80 psi (i.e. a larger "flash loss").

It is interesting to read about your experience. I have no experience
with electronic direct acting cryogenic valves and bulk fills. I did
consider a pilot-operated valve using the tanks N2 pressure as the
motive force but I went for the simpler direct acting route using an
electromagnetic valve.

Choosing 24V AC means I can run a cable to the fill station and avoid a
110V hazard.

I'm not looking for any surprises so your warning is appreciated!

Bob Hamilton

Robert Hamilton

University of California at Berkeley

Microlab Facilities Manager