[labnetwork] Results of the STS RIE oxide etch mystery

Morrison, Richard H., Jr. rmorrison at draper.com
Wed Aug 10 15:57:23 EDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

I would like to thanks the many people that responded to my initial
email about the STS RIE tool etching SiO2 during an O2 plasma.

To sum up:

We replaced the vacuum pump to ensure no oil back streaming (Ebara dry
pump), no change in etch rate or in the plasma emission.

We replaced the cover o-ring (old one had Fomblin grease), no change in
etch rate or in the plasma emission.

Scrubbed the walls and ran long multi hour O2 clean, no change in etch
rate or in the plasma emission.

Removed the Teflon Shield Ring (installed around the chuck), etch rate
went to zero and F was gone from the plasma emissions.

So it appears that the O2 plasma is liberating F from the Teflon ring
which in turns etches the SiO2. We are consulting STS to see if there is
a fix. If there is I will let you all know.

Thanks

Rick

Rick Morrison

Senior Member Technical  Staff