[labnetwork] Sputter problem

Gupta, Su sgupta at eng.ua.edu
Fri Jun 24 00:54:15 EDT 2011

Hi Keith:

Can you give me some more details about your sputter system and the processs? For instance, are you sputtering reactively from a Ti target or is it TiO2? If you are doing DC reactive sputtering from an elemental target, then the target voltage is the best indicator of what is going on with the process. For instance, the target may be oxidizing further with each run (even with the preclean) and you may be dropping down the slope of the hysteresis loop from the 'metallic' rate to the "oxidized" rate, which would be accurately reflected in a drop in the target voltage. A small leak or outgassing could also cause this type of problem, but it probably would not be as regular and systematic as what you are observing.

Regards,
Su Gupta
Assoc. Prof, MTE
Faculty Director, uamcro