[labnetwork] TMAH vs KOH

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Wed May 18 18:10:45 EDT 2011

Hi Matthieu --

This isn't really an answer, but your question brings up a paper that a
former SNF labmember sent to us from Clinic Toxicology, 48, p. 213
(2010) entitled: "Tetramethyl ammonium hydroxide poisoning".  It
describes tetramethylammonium as a well-documented, non-specific nerve
agent (a ganglionic blocker).  As a positive ion, it doesn't normally
pass through skin very well, but in its hydroxide form, the corrosive
damage to the skin allows it to pass easily into the body.  The paper
documents several clinical cases of exposure to TMAH solutions -- in two
lethal cases, the victims were exposed to 25% TMAH covering 7% of their
body surface area for < 1 min.  Significant health effects were observed
in exposures to 2.38% TMAH for 10 minutes or less.

The MSDS for TMAH at first glance looks just a tad scarier than KOH but
no mention that it is a nerve agent.  Both are listed as severe poison,
but I'm guessing that similar exposures to KOH would not be as lethal.

We now treat TMAH with much greater respect, not only for silicon
etching, but for resist developers as well (with typical concentrations
of 2.3%.)

Mary