[labnetwork] 24/7 operations

Dan Woodie daniel.woodie at cornell.edu
Tue May 31 10:13:06 EDT 2011

Matthieu,

Like the Stanford Facility, the CNF is open 24/7 with staffing only the standard work week (7 AM ~ 6 PM, M-F). Once users complete our orientation process (~ 7 hours spread over 1.5 days) they are given full 24/7 access to the facility. Note, this does not include training on tools, only general lab orientation and chemical hood training. U.S. law assigns a greater responsibility to oversee undergraduate students versus graduate students, so we restrict undergraduates to only be able to work during normal staff hours (8 AM - 6 PM, M-F). They can go through a staged process of experience in the lab and staff review to gain full lab access over time.

Unlike the Stanford model, we do have access to the card access system, and we have large screen displays posted around and in the cleanroom listing who is currently in the facility. This can help users determine if they are working alone or not. We require a 'buddy' to be present for a few tools and our high contact hazard chemical hoods, but only evenings and weekends when staff are not on duty. For the chemical hoods we have a sign in process required all the time, with the buddy needing to sign in with the user after hours.

Similar to Stanford we restrict the users from accessing any of the building or tool utilities and severely limit what operations they can process on tools. Emergency phones are located throughout the lab which will automatically connect to the Cornell Police Dispatch if lifted, and they will investigate even if the phone is just lifted and then hung up. Additionally we have a comprehensive toxic gas monitoring and control system present to alarm and notify the campus police dispatch and staff remotely in case of any gas detections. Cornell EH&S also full 24/7 coverage for chemical spills, injuries, etc. that can respond very quickly and is somewhat knowledgeable on our hazards and safety systems. They can respond to gas detection events, typically with over the phone support from our staff.

Lastly, we have video cameras covering all tools and chemical hoods in the facility, with a digital recorder that only captures when motion is sensed. We don't use it too often, but it has been very valuable as a deterrent. Before we implemented it, a subculture of users developed who worked at night, thinking they could skirt the rules to do things faster or different. Once the cameras went up and we handed out some suspensions from observed activity, that went dramatically down. Now, we get less argument from violators when we can show them video of their transgressions.

So, after describing what we do, I reread your original request and would add these thoughts. I feel comfortable with our evening operations due to a variety of things, which all facilities might not have. First, we have a very solid hazardous gas distribution and monitoring/control system. In our older facility (pre-2003), we did not have as nice of a system and hazardous gas usage was limited to normal working hours. Secondly, we have a solid emergency response team on campus 24/7, and they are first responders for all of our emergencies. My comfort on night operations would depend on who would be first on the scene and how well they could handle the potential events the facility could have. Lastly, we have a solid culture of lab policies and enforcement of them which helps to provide a peer pressure to follow the rules. Many of the night rule violators we have caught have been turned in by other users. The video cameras help to back up anything they report. We obviously don't catch everyone, but we catch enough to keep control on evening operations.

I hope this information is helpful. Feel free to call if you want to chat more.

Dan

Dan Woodie
Lab Use Manager
Cornell NanoScale Facility