[labnetwork] Face Velocity for Wet benches/Fume hoods?

Luciani, Vincent vincent.luciani at nist.gov
Wed Apr 11 12:03:39 EDT 2012

Hello Mac,

If the hood is isolated in a small lab 60 might work, otherwise I would stick with 100.

At NIST our safety office uses the 100 CFM number and in my personal experience it seems to be a good number. If you want to go lower than that you need to take in consideration the surrounding area of the hoods and the typical variations in make-up air and exhaust flow. I have found that below 80 CFM fume containment can be compromised by adjacent hoods, hoods directly across (opposing) and fluctuation in static pressure of the cleanroom or lab. We have servo controlled dampers but these fluctuation do happen. 100 CFM seems to hold up against all this noise.

Vince

NanoFab Manager
National Institute of Standards
Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology
100 Bureau Drive
Gaithersburg, MD 20899

301-975-2886

Sent with Good (www.good.com)