[labnetwork] Silicon Nitride question

Robert M. Hamilton bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 12 11:20:57 EDT 2012

Rick Morrison,

The NanoLab (which has superseded the Microlab) at UC
Berkeley has a good amount of experience with lpcvd SiN
films, both stoiciometric and low-stress. Given our
experience I do not recommend using any kind of trap in the
pump manifold between the process tube and the pump. Adding
a trap to the foreline will concentrate pyrophoric residues.
Without frequent cleaning such traps become a significant
safety hazard. At best, cleaning a foreline traps is no fun
and doing this when the material is pyrophoric is even less
fun. We are getting excellent pump lifetime (years) with our
Edward iQDP80's without a foreline trap.

Heat tracing is a common recommendation for the pump lines
of lpcvd nitride furnaces. We purposefully do not heat our
foreline. We've found running an unheated foreline has
advantageous. Forelines condense and trap effluent. A heated
foreline results in the volatilization of trapped effluents
(DCS, i.e. H2SiCl2 and it fractions) which will back-stream
into the process tube and "cvd" particles onto substrates
during loading. While we do not heat our manifold we do use
a "Tystar Corp-modified", heated HPS "Jalapeno series" valve
(200 C). This valve is unique. The Tystar Corp valve
modification allows for continuous pumping of a small volume
of gas while wafers are loaded preventing back-diffusion of
effluent from the pump manifold. It also has a self-cleaning
flow orifice. It is a significant improvement for SiN
particle management. I recommend you contact Henry
Heidbreder for more information, henryh at tystar.com

As for how to deal with process-created H2, the Ebara,
Edwards and other dry pumps use considerable N2 purge during
operation, typically ~35 slpm. These pumps provide an
interlock via their interface module which can be used to
disable DCS flow in the event of low N2 flows. Purge N2 will
reduce the H2 concentration well below the ~4% lower
flammable limit (LFL) for H2 in air. It is good practice to
"marry" a pumps exhaust connection to a main duct in a
high-flow area of the exhaust duct further reducing
concentrations well below the flammable limits. (I have seen
the LFL sometimes listed as the LEL (lower explosive limit);
however, the LEL for H2 in air is higher than the LFL, ~17%).

I defer to others with more process knowledge about issues
with Pt and nitride deposition.

Bob Hamilton

Robert M. Hamilton
Marvel NanoLab