[labnetwork] Toxic Gas Monitoring Systems

Morrison, Richard H., Jr. rmorrison at draper.com
Thu Aug 9 09:00:06 EDT 2012

Our existing fab at Draper uses a Honeywell/Vertex system, paper tape. Light tree that trips an evacuation  at the Lower limit and a warning at the higher limit. The paper tape systems works just fine, costly because the paper tapes get pricy and need to be changed out. The system was 100% uptime and we never had any false alarms. Monitoring, Silane, Mineral Acids, NH3, Hydrogen.

In our new Microfab we are using MSA Trigard, 3 sensors per alarm pack, this pack goes back to a main panel. The panel sets the alarm lights and alerts the safety group. The sensors are easy to change they are cylindrical sensor and 3 sensors run off of 1 pump.

TGMS is a very sensitive topic at most places, I suggest that you purchase a turnkey system from  a vendor in your area. The systems are very sophisticated and the sensor choice is the most important part. Finally the system integration gets complicated with all the different controllers, sensors, pumps and alarm systems. Since this is a life safety issue it is best left to the experts.

Our turnkey system installed was $250K pricey yes but a solid solution. That gives me 27 points split between, Ammonia, hydrides, mineral acids, Silane  and Fluorine.

Rick

Rick Morrison
Senior Member Technical  Staff
Group Leader Microfabrication Operations
Draper Laboratory
555 Technology Square
Cambridge, MA  02139

W  617-258-3420