[labnetwork] Critical Point Dryer Problem

Yianni Tousimis ytousimis at tousimis.com
Fri Aug 10 01:03:41 EDT 2012

Hello Michael-

Here's some advice regarding your key points:

1. Residual Water

If there is any residual water remaining in the process chamber your design on the wafer may require additional dehydration baths and/or increasing the time in the bath so that you can be sure that all of the H20 molecules bond sufficiently with the alcohol.
Please note that if there any residual H20 molecules in your substrate prior to going into the process chamber that regardless of how long you PURGE (exchange) the alcohol for LCO2 the H20 will never be removed as LCO2 is not miscible with H20.
Therefore; any residual H20 will not go thru the CO2 critical point whose minimum pressure/temp. requirements is 1072psi/31C. The critical point for H20 is significantly higher which means that anywhere on the substrate that has H20 remaining during the process will not go thru critical point and will result in stiction.

2. Residual Alcohol

Should you have any residual alcohol remaining in the process chamber that is either a result of 1 of 3 main things:
a) Insufficient PURGE time
b) Insufficient flow (typically due to incorrect metering valve flow adjustments)
c) Flow blockage (typically due to break away debris clogging the immediate 0.5um PURGE filter) and should be changed out for a fresh one.

3. Contamination

This is a complex question that typically requires complete examination starting from the system environment, handling techniques and careful review of the entire pre-CPD wet process steps to see if there is a possibility of chemical reactions occurring, etc. It's good to see that you use high purity alcohol and take the time to filter it down to 0.2um.

I hope that you find some of the above information insightful.

Please feel free to contact me direct for a more detailed conversation to better assist you.

Best Regards-
Yianni Tousimis

Tel.# 301.881.2450
Fax.# 301.881.5374
Cell # 443.254.5423

...innovation and quality...
     www.tousimis.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential information that is legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify us by reply e-mail at ytousimis at tousimis.com or by telephone at (301) 881-2450, and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them to any memory device. Thank you.