[labnetwork] joining long PVDF pipe runs

Robert M. Hamilton bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 6 17:54:17 EDT 2012

Iulian Codreanu,

The DI water guidelines available at Balazs Analytical
Services are worth a read:
http://www.balazs.com/file/otherelement/pj/2_upw_guidelines_rev2.34758.pdf

Since cost/benefit it critical for most university lab
construction it is worth considering point-of-use
purification when or if a hypercritical need arises (such as
ultra-low oxygen content) instead of trying to bring the
whole delivery system up to an exotic spec.

A more direct answer to your query: the UC Berkeley NanoLab
uses fusion-welded PVDF. Its predecessor, the Microlab, used
glued PVC piping without issue. The Microlab regularly
received compliments about extraordinarily high quality of
the silicon oxide it was capable of producing.

Bob Hamilton

Robert M. Hamilton Marvel NanoLab
University of CA at Berkeley
Rm 520 Sutardja Dai Hall Berkeley,