[labnetwork] Expired chemicals

Fouad Karouta fouad.karouta at anu.edu.au
Mon Jul 16 20:32:14 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I agree with what is said so far.
We do tend to use resists a few months after expiry (also PMMA and ZEP).
We've seen negative resists (maN series from Micro-Resist) need replacement
hardly 1-2 months after expiry date. Solvents should be fine though we
usually consume son much that we never get to expiry date.
BOE should be fine to use after date as the NH4F should compensate for any
volatile HF.
H2O2 peroxide is unstable especially if mixed with other chemicals. Piranha
solution for instance should be used within 1-2 hours as H2O2 degrades in
acid presence. The same stands for III-V etchants like H3PO4:H2O2:H2O (or
H2SO4 instead of H3PO4).

In general whenever you doubt about results then it is time to get new
chemicals.

Kind regards,
Fouad Karouta

Facility Manager ANFF ACT Node
Research School of Physics and Engineering
Australian National University
ACT 0200, Canberra, Australia
Tel: + 61 2 6125 7174
Mob: + 61 451 046 412