[labnetwork] H2 Generators

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Fri Jul 20 10:23:11 EDT 2012

John et al:

I am also a big believer in excess-flow switches and RFOs in virtually
all cylinders. We typically select a 0.010" RFO unless there is a good
reason to go larger or smaller.  It is normally installed by the gas
supplier in the cylinder valve before it ever shows up at our site ...
although we do try to confirm that the proper RFO has been installed
before we install it.  However, I'm a bit confused by the comment about
setting the excess-flow sensor ABOVE the flow rate allowed by the
orifice .... maybe I'm guilty of the mistake that you are describing.
If the excess flow switch is downstream of the RFO (which it is in all
cases for us), doesn't that mean that the excess flow switch would never
trip if it is set higher than the RFO-limited flow (at least under
steady-flow conditions)?  We typically try to size our excess flow
switch so that it will trip at a flow that is 2-3 times higher than the
maximum expected flow but that is typically several times LOWER than the
RFO-limited flow (at least at full cylinder pressure).  For most of our
gases, we would likely have excess flow switches set to trip at 6-10
SLM.  Am I off the mark?

More directly related to the hydrogen discussion, we've recently changed
our hydrogen sensors from LEL to 0-1000 ppm.  While I believe that the
legal requirement is to detect a leak that reaches 25% LEL, all of our
hydrogen sensors are now set to give us a warning at 200 ppm and an
alarm at 400 ppm.  Our thinking is that we are better off catching a
leak as early as possible, since small leaks seem to have a way of
becoming large leaks.

My apologies to all for not staying on the topic of H2 generators ...
but whether coming from cylinders, generators, or a bulk cryogenic
source, safe handling and distribution of H2 is important to us all.

Thanks,

John