[labnetwork] Nitrogen Gas Flow Meters

George P. Watson gwatson at Princeton.EDU
Wed Jun 27 16:14:55 EDT 2012

Dear Labnetwork members,
Our engineering school Nitrogen cost has risen dramatically and our method of dividing the cost (mostly guessing everyone's usage) has become outdated.  We would like to meter each lab and facility to more fairly assign the cost.  Has anyone had experience installing and using these meters?
Can you recommend a meter capable of maintaining the N2 purity?  How much does such a meter cost, and how much is installation and hookup for remote readout?
What happens if there is a wide range of N2 flow rate, both from lab to lab, and at various times within one lab?  Will one meter meet our needs?
How do you monitor the N2 use?  Do you read flow totals from the units themselves, or are they connected to a network?
Thanks in advance,

Pat

George Patrick Watson (Pat), Ph.D.
Director of Operations