[labnetwork] Issue with diborane in nitrogen mixture

Bill Flounders bill at eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 16 22:50:39 EST 2012

All,
Very interesting.
I appreciate Lief's recall of Bob Hamilton's (UC Berkeley)
experience with polymerized diborane and Steve Paolimi's (Harvard)
experience with polymerized diborane (decaborane) formation possibly
being caused by Joule-Thomson cooling.

New to me is Steve's information that diborane  mixtures with hydrogen are
not subject to this phenomena. At question then is the following:
1. Does dilution in H2 avoid the problem because hydrogen is one of the
few gases that does not experience Joule-Thomsen cooling; or,
2. Does dilution in H2 avoid the problem because hydrogen prevents
polymerization by constantly saturating any potential cross link sites;
i.e., it always drives the equilibrium toward monomer not polymer.

If number1 is correct, then dilution in helium should also solve the problem
- and I suspect it does not.
I expect number 2 is more important and Joule-Thomsen cooling is only
partially (if at all) responsible for polymerization. I expect
polymerization
of stored diborane, enhanced by the cylinder experiencing temperature
extremes (> 40 C) in an outside gas bunker is the issue. (Note, residues
are common on the regulator high pressure side also - not just the low
pressure side.)
I expect cylinders are cooled to slow the polymerization reaction, not to
decrease Joule-Thomsen cooling. Cooling cylinders buys time, but that's all.
Some information on diborane decomposition is attached.
This gas phase analysis article does not even address the non volatile
decomposition
products (polymers like decaborane) but the temp/decomposition
relationship is clear.

Suggestion:
What if you use 3% B2H6  / 4% H2  / balance N2
The hydrogen pushes the equilibrium to diborane but
the concentration does not raise any H2 handling concerns.

Bill Flounders
UC Berkeley