[labnetwork] Reclaimed Water Issue

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 3 18:30:24 EDT 2012

Jeff:

Although we don't have an identical system, we do use a reclaim water
system.  While I'm not sure that I can offer a great solution, I can
tell you that your description of the problem as a "brown, slimy,
stringy, substance" really sounds very similar to what we have seen.

Let me describe for you and others what our reclaim water system is like:

Our two, big 25,000 CFM building scrubbers consume something like 4 GPM
... which, as you know, is a lot of water over the course of a month.
To reduce "one-time-use" of industrial water in that system, we have a
system that pumps the output of our acid waste neutralization tank (as
long as the pH is between 5.5 and 10) to the scrubber and uses that
water as the makeup water for our two scrubbers.  The feed into our AWN
system includes waste chemicals from our wet bench cleaning stations
(note: things containing HF are collected in a separate tank/drain
system), DI water once it have been used, and industrial water from a
handful of small, local tool-specific burn boxes and scrubbers.
Although we tried it at one point, we no longer try to reclaim RO reject
water.

In the early months of this year, in particular, we were seeing a
significant buildup of a "brown, slimy, stringy substance" in the sump
of our main scrubbers that was clinging to the walls, clogging the inlet
to the spray pumps, etc.  While I think that you may have done more
scientific analysis than we to identify this stuff, we were wondering
whether some of our wet vacuum pumps (we still us a significant number
of wet pumps) were "belching" pump oil vapors that were collecting in
our scrubber system and causing this problem.  While we never convinced
ourselves that there was any validity to our pump oil vapor hypothesis,
we certainly did see a build up of a material that sounds a lot like
what you were seeing.  It was sufficiently severe that we had to
schedule a mid-year shutdown of the scrubbers to have them cleaned.
Although I'd need to check some records to be sure, that is the time of
the year when we often get a higher fraction of ground water mixed into
our supply.  Most of the year, the water that we get from the Hetch
Hetchy water system is pretty good, produces minimal scale, is easy on
DI systems, etc ... but during the winter months we often get a higher
mix of ground water that necessitated more frequent resin bed changes, etc.

So, while I can't offer you a solution, I think that we have seem
something that sounds very similar to what you are experiencing and
would be eager to coordinate our efforts to help further study this and
come up with a good solution.  I've cced our building facility engineer
as well as some of our lab senior technical staff in hopes of making
them aware of this discussion.  You are welcome to send me email
directly if there is any need for further off-line discussion,
comparison, and brainstorming.

Thanks,

John