[labnetwork] TMAH controls or substitutes

Morrison, Richard H., Jr. rmorrison at draper.com
Tue Sep 4 12:01:38 EDT 2012

Hi,

At Draper Laboratory, whenever we are pouring any chemical with TMAH (no matter the %) we use full PPE, face mask, safety glasses, apron, arm covers, chemical gloves. This is the case for developer, as well as, Silicon etch solutions. After the chemical is in the tank/beaker in a chemical hood we relax the rules because the exposure risk is low, so it is safety glasses (with hood shield in place), chemical gloves and arm covers.

We try to minimize the use of TMAH for Silicon etching, but sometimes KOH does not work for our devices. We have restarted the use of EDP, but this comes with a list of dangers that can be worse than TMAH.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Draper Laboratory
Group Leader Microfabrication Operations
555 Technology Square
Cambridge Ma, 02139-3563

www.draper.com
rmorrison at draper.com