[labnetwork] Guardian Air REME by RGF / AirMaster

Bill Flounders bill at eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 1 11:22:44 EDT 2013

Dennis,
Heard of it. Haven't used it. Evaluated it during design
and came up with the following:
1. Another system to buy and maintain.

2. Efficiency and capture effectiveness of hepas is well established.

3. Unclear how it will lower costs unless they link it with decreased
fan speed.We can all lower fan speed when the lab is empty
and save as much (or more) energy.

4. Though the filters may be effective at lower fan speed with charged
particles -lowering fan speed decreases entrainment of particles in the
  lab space. We have to get the particles to the filter - and a minimum
  linear velocity is needed to do that.

5. Unclear (skeptical) how it will reduce hepa load. We have to capture
whatever there is to capture whether we electrostatically activate it to
enhance capture or not. i.e. the load seems fixed by occupancy and activity.

6. NIOSH already has encouraging data of non charged hepas
as effective for nanoparticle capture. I would not want this company
to tout their product as "required" for nanoparticle or nanowire filtering.

Sincerely,
Bill Flounders
Berkeley NanoLab