[labnetwork] KOH

Luciani, Vincent Vincent.Luciani at nist.gov
Mon Dec 16 08:13:30 EST 2013

Good Morning Bill,

We currently have a dedicated station with as SS KOH tank but we still have many researchers that want to set up their own station for their own flavor of KOH etch.  As you know, sometimes these etches can take a long time so it ties up valuable bench space.  Having done much KOH etching myself, I empathize.

I hope to change strategies as soon as the opportunity and funding permits.  It will be a hybrid of the two approaches.  I hope to have a custom bench built to hold 2 -3 specially designed stations, each equipped with quartz beakers (various beaker sizes variable) on a stirring hotplate with a nicely sealed water cooled reflux lid with a thermometer (or TC) well, excellent lighting and good visibility of the sample during the etch, maybe even a camera.

Most frequent complaints with our current bench are:

Not enough user capacity so need more than one.

Variability in water content despite the refux coils.

Uncertainty over what the previous user may have done to the bath.

Can't use it for custom mixtures.  It takes too long a needs to be cooled, drained, remixed for the next user.

Vince

Vincent K. Luciani
NanoFab Manager
Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology<http://www.cnst.nist.gov/>