[labnetwork] Corrosive exhaust material of construction

Craig Cheney ccheney at infinityhps.com
Thu Dec 19 17:07:49 EST 2013

Iulian,

   I designed a facility (H-5 occupancy) for semiconductor manufacturing
that incorporated wet processing (Acids and Bases).  We used epoxy coated
spiral duct for all the corrosive exhaust as a cheap alternative to large
bore PVC ducting.  That was back in 2000 and the ductwork is still in use
today.  We installed wet benches that incorporated the proper exhaust
condenser equipment to catch the majority of acid/base fumes before going
out to the exhaust system.   I will caution you that if the corrosive media
you will be using is going to be in an aerosol form or used at high
temperatures where there is significant out gassing, you should look at
ductwork made from PVC or other suitable plastics.   If you are using wet
benches that have the proper exhaust systems built in, i.e. condenser coils
for hot acids or bases to be condensed and caught in the wet bench itself,
then you will probably be ok with the epoxy coated ductwork, if of course
you have quantified the total effluent in the exhaust stream first!

Craig Cheney

Desk:  (608)834-4200
Fax:     (608)834-4299
Cell:    (608)438-8714

This e-mail transmission and any attachments to it are intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, your use, forwarding, printing, storing, disseminating,
distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you
by replying to this message and delete it from your computer.