[labnetwork] Corrosive exhaust material of construction

Dennis Schweiger schweig at umich.edu
Fri Dec 20 07:19:43 EST 2013

Iulian,

good morning.  Here at the Lurie Nanofab we're using fiberglass material in
the original fab areas (vintage 1986), and teflon coated stainless steel in
all of the renovated, and new construction, areas (vintage 2006-2008).
 When we looked at the various materials for our new facility, the teflon
coated material was a HUGE cost savings on our project, a savings somewhere
north of $160K between the two projects.  The big advantages were ease of
installation (reducing the labor costs), and the fact that the ductwork no
longer required fire suppression.  Even though fiberglass is fire
resistant, it'll still burn/melt/vaporize (I can tell you a story about a
local fab that had that happen).  We're so pleased with the teflon coated
stainless material, that even in the original fab locations where we're
reworking the exhaust connections at benches and tools, we're installing
the teflon coated stainless material.

By the way, we're using the PSP material from Fab-Tech.

If you have any additional questions, just give me a call, I'd be happy to
share our experiences in working with the material.

Dennis Schweiger
Facilities Manager
Lurie Nanofabrication Facility
University of Michigan