[labnetwork] Logging and Access Control of Legacy Equipment

Ryan Taylor ryant at nanofab.utah.edu
Mon Feb 25 19:10:30 EST 2013

Hi John,

We are using OpenCoral to meet those requirements at our lab.  The
enforcement mechanism is accomplished one of two ways.  We are using
network-capable interlock boxes to that are physically wired into some
tools.  For others, we are using a home-grown "software interlock" that
runs on windows and locks the screen and keyboard until someone
authenticates successfully.  We've been able to use that system to lock
windows 98, XP and windows 7.  There's a bit more information about the
hardware interlocks on our web page
(http://coral.nanofab.utah.edu/lab/docs/get_doc/interlocks). Though, we
built our own interlock box solution, I believe the latest version of
OpenCoral has built-in support for a similar system.

I would be happy to share the software for the software interlocks too,
if you are interested.  I could also share some of the techniques we've
used for dealing with our logs for billing (we also charge for time in
our lab, but we are moving toward a billing system based solely on tool
usage).

Thanks,
Ryan Taylor

--