[labnetwork] Veeco D125 MOVPE wafer rotation motor issue

Leif Johansen lej at danchip.dtu.dk
Thu Jul 4 09:53:45 EDT 2013

Dear all,

Here at DTU Danchip we have a Veeco D125 MOVPE reactor whose wafer rotator motor is giving us quite a headache - please see my colleague's description of the problem below. Any hints on how to proceed would be much appreciated.

"We are using the DC motor Baldor (AP7402) for rotating wafer-carrier for the MOVPE reactor VEECO D125.
Recently, one of the boards, namely DC motor speed control board, model KBMM-225D (9451),  in the Motor Drive burned and we changed it for a new one (KBMM-225D (9450)). The system did not work with an old motor; it just was burning fuses on the mentioned board. We have ordered a new motor. Unfortunately the new motor did not solve the problem, after about 40 minutes of work on high rpm (500-1000) the current is slowly increasing and  the motor getting very warm, than it burns the fuse.
We have adjusted settings (potentiometers) on the speed control board according the manual to our machine.
We have try to run the motor off-load and it works fine for two hours without any problems. From the other hand, the part on the reactor, which should be rotated, goes very smooth, as it was before.
I would appreciate a lot if you can give me a hint what could be the reason for the problem I described."

Best regards,

Leif

Leif S. Johansen

Head of Operations