[labnetwork] E-Beam Evaporation, Ni optimization.

Chandrashekar S Kambar kambar009 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 08:13:16 EDT 2013

Hi,

We are trying to optimize Ni with E-Beam Evaporator (TECPORT).

The E-Beam power is raised in two steps: RAISE 1, SOAK 1 AND RAISE 2, SOAK
2.
ELECTRON BEAM PATTERN: Focused to one point (to the middle of the crucible).
CRUCIBLE: Graphite.

ISSUE: During the RAISE 1, everything seems to be normal and only the
material in the middle of the crucible gets melted. During the RAISE 2 the
material starts to spit out of the crucible. During the deposition the
spitting increases drastically, thus we will be forced to stop the
deposition. After the deposition when we take out the crucible, crucible
was broken across the wall. However there was no damage done to the pocket
holder (Hearth).

Power % : Raise 1: 5% (V= 6.99 KV and I ~ 70 mA)
                Raise 2: 10% (V= 6.99 KV and I ~ 120 mA)
                During the deposition Power % goes up to 16% and the
current goes up to 180 mA ( V = 6.99 KV constant).

We need to know, if there is any way to reduce the crucible cracking and to
avoid the spitting of the material.

QUESTION 2:

During the deposition the crucibles are cracked and its pieces are stuck
with the Ni material. Is there any way to recover the material by removing
the graphite pieces?

Thanks and Regards,
Chandrashekar S Kambar.