[labnetwork] ALD survey

Hathaway, Malcolm hathaway at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 4 10:05:08 EST 2013

Hi Karl,

This is Mac Hathaway, at Harvard CNS.  We started out with a Cambridge Nanotech Savannah 200, 8" capable, with 6 ports (enough for 5 different ALD films, plus water as the secondary precursor).  It works quite well, but has some limitations, such as (for us) the number of ports, and "serviceability" of the gas delivery system.  For what is a very simple system, some maintenance tasks are two person jobs.  Cost was ~$180K (~$120K for 4" with only two ports).  Still going strong after 5 years.  Mostly all we do is change pumps, oring, and very occasionally parts of the gas delivery system (pneumatic valves and ALD valves).

For reference, Cambridge Nano is now part of Ultratech.

We have now gotten (in the cleanroom, but not open to users yet) an Arradiance desktop system,  It is a slightly modified GEMStar 8.  This unit is quite small, 8 ports, 6" capable, and in standard configuration currently around $120K.  This unit is designed to allow better heating uniformity, and somewhat better gas flow dynamics.  It turns out that "ideal" ALD processes are quite immune to lots of "CVD" variables like chamber geometry, and flow dynamics, but many non-ideal processes do benefit from more careful control of such variables.

As it happens, CNS hosted an NNIN ALD Symposium at the end of Nov. last year, and the presentations for it are on our website:    http://cns.harvard.edu/research/presentations.php

You will find quite a bit of interesting info going through those presentations.  Most NNIN folks have either Savannahs, a few Cambridge Nano plasma/thermal systems, or Oxford Instruments plasma/thermal systems.  The Arradiance unit is just starting to get market penetration.  As a rule, the thermal systems are the cheaper, smaller units, and the plasma enabled systems tend to be bigger, and cost $300K and up.

Feel free to contact me off-line if you have more questions.

Mac
Harvard CNS