[labnetwork] Mahmood/Reger paper is not reliable

Katalin Voros voros at silicon2.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Mar 20 13:30:27 EDT 2013

The Aamer Mahmood and Ron Reger, paper "Microfabrication Process Cost
Calculator," at the 2010 UGIM presented incorrect data; several of
us repudiated it at the conference and asked Mahmood not to
include our lab's name in further publications.

Dennis Grimard and Lisa Jones from Michigan presented "FY11 Financial
and Operational Survey of Major University Nanofabrication Facilities",
at UGIM 2012. Contact dgrimard at umich.edu.
Dennis did a thorough work by contacting each participant, double
checking accuracy and asking about discrepancies.

However, as others stated before me, there are as many charging schemes as
there are labs. Each one creates a fee structure best (most acceptable)
for the local environment. One suggestion, from experience, do not parse
it in overly much detail. It will be a nightmare to administer it and
exposes you for nitty-gritty arguments.

Sincerely
                       Katalin

KATALIN VOROS
R&D Engineering Manager
Engineering Research Support Organization
Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences
University of California at Berkeley
545D Cory Hall #1770
Berkeley, CA 94720-1770
phone: (510) 642-2911