[labnetwork] Query regarding ICPRIE system-IIT Bombay_India

Robert M. Hamilton bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 26 10:29:19 EDT 2013

Satyavalli Palur

You should have a pressure regulator in the BCl3 gas
cabinet. It should be set for ~2 psig delivery pressure in
order to avoid the possibility of condensation (phase
change) in the delivery line. A setpoint of 2 psig will
provide you some head-room as the pressure of BCl3 pressure
in the cylinder, at room temp, is ~ 4.4 psig. There are a
number of good, low and sub-atmospheric pressure regulators
available for such gases so make sure the regulator is
designed for low pressure delivery.

We recently had an issue with a SiCl3 line that was routed
under an supply air intake. Periodically, the inlet
temperature was low enough to condense the SiCl4. We
compensated by dialing down the delivery pressure while
making sure we still had enough pressure for maximum recipe
flows at the tool.

If you do have issues with meeting BCl3 demand at a reduced
pressure you may want to check the setup of the BCl3 mass
flow controller. Typical "generic" mfc's are setup for use
at 18-22 psi delivery pressure. An mfc calibrated for BCl3
will likely be set correctly.

Bob Hamilton

Bob Hamilton
Marvel NanoLab