[labnetwork] Bosch etch foreline and pump powder residue question...

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 6 20:35:35 EST 2013

Bob:

This is a good point that reminds me of minor etch modifications that
our etch guru Jim McVittie made me aware of:

> John,
>
> The STS process engineer from the factory who trained me on STS2 said that they gone to adding some O2 to the etch steps on there old tools to solve the vacuum line deposition problem. We never went that way because it meant that we would have to recharacterize our processes on the STS1 and no one wantd to do it. The Berkeley folks published a paper on adding O2.  Jim
I'm hopeful that someone from Berkeley can provide a better reference
and comment on this approach, but I believe that folks have found that
adding modest oxygen flow (~10%, as I recall) during the etch step helps
to reduce polymer buildup without significantly affecting etch rates and
other process parameters.

Thanks,

John