[labnetwork] After-hours work in cleanroom and laboratories

Mac Hathaway hathaway at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 20 17:06:21 EST 2013

Hi John,

There was a very interesting discussion of this and the related issue of
when folks run toxic gases, a few years ago on this list.  I'm happy to
send you an executive summary, if you'd like (I actually created one for
our folks here, for some of our policy meetings...)

Short version:

At Harvard, we run 24/7, all equipment, including wetbenches, but toxic
gases are only available ~6 am to ~8 pm.  Staffing is from ~8pm - ~6pm.
Buddy system is required for all acid/base wetbench work, whenever it is
done.  Not strictly required for other work.

Seems to work okay.  Wetbenches sometimes get a bit messy at night, and
we see (on video) things are a bit more "loose" at night, in terms of
PPE, etc, but nothing too egregious.

We have a full gas detection system, interlocked with gas sources,
building systems, and the fire department.

Too bad you guys lost headcount.  Hope things get better...

Mac
Harvard CNS