[labnetwork] After-hours work in cleanroom and laboratories

Mike Tiner mtiner at masdar.ac.ae
Thu Nov 21 01:43:07 EST 2013

Dear John and Colleagues,

I think it if fair to say that in almost any decision we take as facility managers there are trade-offs, basically there are no free rides. In the case of afterhours work in the facility the variety of different schemes and clever arrangements is testament that there is no single good way to do things. In my current facility the user base is very inexperienced and the safety culture is not particularly strong, we are very strict about our facility hours 9-5, 5 days per week and we require the users to schedule accordingly so that support staff are available (I am also very limited on staff 1.5 FTE). In my previous facility we were open 24/7/365 and only limited wet processing to buddy system at night. One of the things I think is most critical to offering extended or unsupervised hours is a culture of ownership. I find that no matter how good your rules/enforcement are, someone will always try to find a way around them. However, it is possible to build a sense of community into the users that causes them to clean up, follow good practice, etc., on their own.

Full time security cameras help as well.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Tiner
Manager, Fabrication and Microscopy Facilities

Masdar Institute Electron Microscopy Facility Website<https://sites.google.com/site/masdarelectronmicroscopy/>

Masdar Institute Fabrication Facility Website<https://sites.google.com/site/mifabricationinfo/>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CEE6A5.7602A440]
PO Box 54224, Khalifa City
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Office   +971 2 810 8122
Direct   +971 2 810 9053
Fax       +971 2 810 8121
Mobile  +971 56 733 9604
Email    mtiner at masdar.ac.ae<mailto:mpotter at masdar.ac.ae>

http://www.masdar.ac.ae<http://www.masdar.ac.ae/>
[cid:image002.jpg at 01CEE6A5.7602A440]<http://en.uaenationalday.ae/>

This transmission is confidential and intended solely for the person or organization to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail at info at masdar.ac.ae<mailto:info at masdar.ac.ae>