[labnetwork] After-hours work in cleanroom and laboratories

Daniel Christensen dcchrist at wisc.edu
Thu Nov 21 09:21:06 EST 2013

At the University of Wisconsin-Madison the cleanrooms are accessible
24/7 and we enforce a buddy policy outside of our normally staffed hours
(M-F 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.).  The buddy policy requires 2 users to be
in the cleanroom suite (spread throughout any of the bays).We allow all
activities to be conducted off-hours except equipment maintenance
operations, but researchers are encouraged to do processing
using hazardous gases only when staff is in the building. The hazardous
gas vaults themselves are highly restricted and cannot be accessed
except by a very few staff.

We have video cameras installed throughout the cleanroom.The output goes
to our hard drive storage system and we put a video monitor into each of
the cleanroom bays.We have the live video output on display at all times
on these monitors.The displays sequence through the cameras.The idea is
to allow a user in Bay 8 to see what is going on in Bays 1-7 while they
are sitting at their tool.Also we hoped that the users would further
realize that they are being monitored for proper after hours
behavior.However, I don't think the presence of the display monitors has
changed behavior.

Our 8 cleanroom bays are contiguous and have a single entry point where
the gowning room door connects to a central clean corridor.We have a pc
_on each side_ of this door to allow for "log-in" and "log-out" of the
cleanroom . This log in/out of the cleanroom enters data into our
"Coral-like" lab monitoring system (called CRESS) which allows for
real-time monitoring of everyone in the cleanrooms .CRESS keeps a
running total of the "body count" in the cleanroom.The system generates
a report to the staff of buddy system violations.

During non-business hours (remember to do special programming to make
M-F holidays buddy hours) the system does the following:

-When no one is in the cleanroom, two users must log in with-in a couple
of minutes of each other to enter.

-When there are >2 users in the cleanroom, a user may leave the
cleanroom as normal.

-When there are just two users left in the cleanroom and "User A" tries
to leave, the logout pc tells"User A" that they are leaving a lone
user.The pc then allows them to click a button to continue their exit or
another button to abort their exit.Normally, "User A" will then click to
exit followed within a couple of minutes by User B exiting via the
logout pc.

-We consider it a buddy system violation for BOTH "User A" and User B"
in the above scenario if User A leaves the cleanroom and User B doesn't
leave very shortly thereafter.

--
Daniel C. Christensen
Laboratory Manager