[labnetwork] Update on CDA in lieu of N2 purging of drypumps

Paolini, Steven spaolini at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 2 18:50:08 EDT 2013

Iulian and esteemed colleagues,
    There has been more debate about this subject since diffusion pumps were challenged by those newfangled "jet age" turbo molecular pumps but with less of an argument.
Wet pumps can be used effectively but with caution. Valve sequencing must be precise in order to avoid backstreaming if the wet pump is to be used alone for processing, this means that you cannot pump on a chamber while at idle without some laminar gas flow to keep those pesky oil molecules in the pump where they belong. Vacuum pump oils must be selected correctly but what is important is that any system that runs O2 MUST have inert oil (Fomblin, Krytox) or risk explosion. Another consideration is with corrosive processes, it is generally accepted to run inert oil in pumps that will see corrosive etch gases but they tend not to "wet" the metal parts and protect them as hydrocarbon oils do which leads to premature pump and case failure. I would not recommend hydrocarbon oils for those applications since the oil traps acidic materials and doesn't offgas them as inerts do. I see no problem in using oil pumps for load lock applications but you must keep an eye on the oil levels since frequent pumping of these volumes from atmosphere tends to push vaporized oil up the exhaust.
With all that being said, I must say that whenever I have the opportunity to replace an oil pump with a dry pump, I do it. Dry pumps are cleaner both internally and externally. I do find them to be about twice the initial cost of wet pumps but I must disagree about the maintenance, my experience with dry pumps is that they give superior performance with an extremely long mean time to failure. PECVD and LPCVD processes are the best applications for dry pumps since they are dirty processes.  Most modern pumps have heat where its required to push out condensables and cooling where it's necessary to keep seals cool. In my rough estimation, considering the expense of pumps and the extra nitrogen needed  vs. the care and maintenance (and possible process/equipment contamination) dry pumps are a better value.
Regarding "standby mode" for N2 conservation, I am building a prototype unit that works in conjunction with the process gas pneumatic actuators. When any process gas is called for, a three way valve goes from supplying compressed air to N2. This design keeps those models of dry pumps that require a constant flow of N2 satisfied. I will interlock it with an N2  flowmeter that has a trip point to ensure that the pump sees only N2 when gases are on.
Best of luck

Steve Paolini
Equipment dood
Harvard University Center For Nanoscale Systems