[labnetwork] Supplier for Silane and Chlorine PPE / Rating

G. Casey Cahill gcc27 at georgetown.edu
Fri Aug 22 13:06:00 EDT 2014

Having visited Harvard's nanomaterials facility, and looking at
circumstances we may deal with here, some of the considerations below may
be helpful.  There's also some data attached on the ratings for Nomex from
Tencate Freestyle.  Hope this helps:

*Protective apparel*

Nomex lab coat be worn while manipulating quantities of liquid pyrophorics
over 10 mL or solid pyrophorics over 1 gram.

*Gloves*

Considering the use of Nomex/Leather pilot’s gloves - fire resistance
without compromising manual dexterity.  The pilots gloves may be worn over
nitrile gloves.

*Eye protection*

ANSI Z.87. 1 1989

*G. Casey Cahill, MS, MEn, MBA, CSP*
*Lab Safety Manager*
Georgetown University
Safety and Environmental Management <http://safety.georgetown.edu/>
3700 O Street NW
P2 Leavey Center
Washington D.C. 20057
Phone: 202-687-7785
Fax: 202-687-9229
Email: gcc27 at georgetown.edu

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Milan Begliarbekov <
Milan.Begliarbekov at asrc.cuny.edu> wrote:

>  Hi All,
>

> At the CUNY NanoFab we’re finally preparing for tool install and the
> immanent grand opening. To this end, can anyone recommend a good supplier
> for Silane and Chlorine PPE (for changing the bottles). Also, are there any
> minimum specs for the PPE (Nomex suits, gloves, face shields, etc) that are
> recommended? I checked a bunch of places and Nomex suits have different
> ratings, but I can’t seem to find a source that makes a recommendation for
> Silane. We will have 10 and 100% Silane on our site.
>

> Any and all wisdom on this matter will be highly appreciated!
>

> Thank you,
>

> Milan Begliarbekov, Ph.D.  | Technical Cleanroom Manager
>
> CUNY Advanced Science Research Center
>

> 85 St. Nicholas Terrace, Manhattan, NY 10027
>
> O 646-664-8913          M 917-624-7843         F 646-664-2965
>

> asrc.cuny.edu/NanoFab

*CONFIDENTIAL: The information contained in this communication, including
its attachments may contain confidential information and is intended only
for the individual (s) or entity (ies) to whom it is addressed. The
information contained in this communication may also be protected by legal
privilege, federal law or other applicable law. If you are not the intended
recipient of this communication, you are hereby notified that any
distribution, dissemination or duplication of this communication is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error
please immediately delete and destroy all copies of this message and please
immediately notify us of the error by separate communication. Thank you. *