[labnetwork] house vacuum system

Kuhn, Jeffrey G kuhn1 at purdue.edu
Fri Jan 10 07:41:14 EST 2014

Good Morning Donghai,

The answers to your questions depend on the vacuum demand of your facility as well as the type(s) of gases the system would be seeing. If you are supplying vacuum to a large number of users, your best choice may be another liquid ring vacuum pump system since they can generate high cfm and therefore support a high demand. At Birck, our system comprises two Sterling (SIHI) liquid ring pumps rated at 500 cfm each. Only one pump is required to handle our demand, but they alternate duty cycles and the off-line pump serves as backup to eliminate single point failure.

There are some considerations when designing a liquid ring vacuum system:

1.       What level of vacuum is required? Typically, around -29” is as good as you can get from a liquid ring pump. That’s adequate for most non-process applications.

2.       Along with the level of vacuum, you must consider the service liquid (water) inside the pump. The higher the vacuum requirement, the cooler the service liquid needs to be. To achieve high vacuum, you may need a heat exchanger to cool the service liquid to the proper level. Keep in mind that if the service liquid gets too warm the pump will cavitate and ultimately destroy itself. I’ve seen that happen and it’s an expensive repair.

3.       The gases that the pump will be ingesting will determine its material of construction. If there are corrosive gases present you may need a stainless steel pump and internals.

In my career, I’ve dealt with SIHI, Gast, and Dekker systems. They are essentially the same in design and performance. That makes cost a major consideration, so I would consider sending it out for bid and specifying the performance parameters in the bid documents.

Others on this forum may have different opinions and I too would be interested in hearing them. Of course, if your vacuum demand is low, you may be able to go with a non-liquid ring design – perhaps even splitting the load between several.

Regards,

Jeff Kuhn
Facility Engineer
Birck Nanotechnology Center