[labnetwork] Providing User Lab Supplies and Storage Space

Weaver, John R jrweaver at purdue.edu
Thu Jan 23 16:36:25 EST 2014

Jacob -

We sell the user materials to the users - they charge them to their account. We have found that they take better care of them when they have to buy them. We require that they buy them through us and we give them pass-through (no markup) pricing. Because we buy in quantity, they get the materials for less than if they bought them on their own. By requiring that they buy from us, we know that only proper cleanroom-compatible materials are being used. We have had great faculty acceptance.

As for storage, each user gets a tote that is stored on wire racks along the main aisle of the cleanroom. Larger groups get a double-size tote as a "group tote" in addition to the individual totes for the users. If totes are left out (not put back on rack), the user has two choices: Perform lab cleanup operations for four weeks; or suffer a one-week suspension from the lab. Since we instituted this program, totes are put away properly.

John