[labnetwork] Providing User Lab Supplies and Storage Space

Michael Khbeis khbeis at uw.edu
Fri Jan 24 09:58:35 EST 2014

Jacob,

We too sell units at cost plus 20% to cover the use tax (9.5%) and university purchasing overhead.  That prompts another question, we are not getting ANY support from our state, but they are charging us use taxes on every purchase (regardless of origin), so we pay "sales" tax on things ordered on-line or from overseas.  The only tax exemption is capital equipment, so I effectively pay the state/city 9.5% of my materials and supplies budgets.  I do not wish to hijack this thread, but I am curious if other sites, especially public institutions, are also paying their local and state governments to operate vs. receiving subsidies.

Regarding storage, we provide user groups a 2' W x 1.5' D x 1' H (3 cu ft) desiccator cabinet slot. Users within the group share a cabinet with additional cabinets for rent (to cover N2 purge costs) if needed.

Rick @ Draper, check your users' desks for the missing tweezers/pens/scribes.  I know I would hoard uncontaminated/undamaged ones when working in a lab where everything was free. When there is no cost associated, people don't take care of the resources.

Best regards,

Dr. Michael Khbeis
Acting Director, Washington Nanofabrication Facility (WNF) (formerly MFF)
National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network (NNIN)
University of Washington
Fluke Hall, Box 352143
(O) 206.543.5101
(F) 206.221.1681