[labnetwork] Lab management systems

Thomas Lohman thomasl at mtl.mit.edu
Fri Jul 11 10:10:26 EDT 2014

Hi Phyllis,

 From your note, it wasn't clear if you're thinking of implementing your
own system or setting up/purchasing a 3rd party system.  I would say
that for any system, the answers to your questions will depend on what
your work flow is there and what it is exactly you require e.g. how do
you handle cost recovery, what are your policies for equipment
usage/scheduling, do you require interlocking of your equipment, etc.
As for using something else (borrow/buy route), I can say in the case of
OpenCoral, it will require some up front technical investment from
someone who has UNIX/Linux system administration/programming skills but
should not require that same level once up and working.  How much more
depends on what you require exactly.  If you go the commercial/cloud
route then you'll be paying for their expertise in setting things up but
once again, how much effort (on their end) and cost (on your end) will
really depend on how much customizations may need to be done for you.

--tom