[labnetwork] Cleanroom Construction Survey

Michael Khbeis khbeis at uw.edu
Thu Jun 19 08:49:39 EDT 2014

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

It was so great to spend time with you at UGIM.  It really makes running these facilities easier when you have a brain trust to rely on. I know most of you are just getting back in the office, but I could really use your help in gathering some data on recent (last decade) cleanroom construction efforts.  We are in a terrible situation with our cleanroom construction project. My pleas to hire knowledgable contractors and MEP designers were completely ignored and our contracting model where we bring the contractors and major subs (mechanical and electrical) in early to design assist and have no competition has resulted in a cost explosion where my cleanroom remodel budget easily exceeds some of your complete building construction costs.

Can you please try to answer these questions to the best of your abilities:

1. How many gross square feet of space do you have? How much under filter? What class(es) of cleanroom? If remodel, what did you have before construction?
2. Was it new construction or remodel?  If remodel, did you stay operational or shutdown for an extended period? How long was project from concept to operational?
3. What was the cleanroom construction cost? What was the total project cost (including architectural, design, construction, institution project management fees)?
4. Do you have any sub-contract cost information, specifically mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP)?
5. Did you use contractors that had cleanroom experience (yes/no) and which contractor did you use?
	- Architect
	- MEP designer
	- General Contractor
	- Cleanroom Contractor - if same as GC, then please state that
	- Mechanical Contractor
	- Electrical Contractor
	- Plumbing Contractor
	- Spec Gas Contractor
	- Equipment Fit-up Contractor
	- Controls Contractor
	- Commissioning Agent
6. What contract method was used (e.g. design/build, construction manager, developer, private/public partnership)?
7. Where did funds come from (e.g. donors, campus investment, state funds)?
8. Did you have any special challenges or conditions that impacted design/cost/performance (e.g. as a remodel we have 16' floor to ceiling height that makes design challenging, we are doing occupied remodel)?
9. Any other comments of anecdotes that may be of value.

Again, I really appreciate your valuable feedback and will share the compilation of the data with everyone.

Most gratefully,

Dr. Michael Khbeis
Acting Director, Washington Nanofabrication Facility (WNF)
National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network (NNIN)
University of Washington
Fluke Hall, Box 352143
(O) 206.543.5101
(F) 206.221.1681