[labnetwork] Cleanroom Video Monitoring

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 4 08:51:26 EST 2014

Hi Jacob and Labnetwork members --

We just installed some 30 video cameras throughout our cleanroom and
around the secured areas of our building (sub-fab and gas vaults.)  We
have yet to learn to use them, but they look promising for all the
reasons everyone has listed.  One question for the Labnetwork:  what
kind of policy is in place for video monitoring?  Do you have a
governing University or corporate policy?  Do you have a local policy as
well?  How are issues of privacy and chain-of-custody of recordings
handled?

In this day and age, we can expect to be on camera from the time we step
out of our homes so I think most people don't have a problem with video
monitoring.  The questions that have come up are whether the images are
publicly available and under what circumstances will recorded data be
made available to a requester.

Working with our legal department and public safety, we've come up with
a local policy that we trust addresses the University concerns as well
as our local needs.  But I am wondering how everyone else manages this
balance.

Mary
--
Mary X. Tang, Ph.D.