[labnetwork] Query regarding quartz tube cleaning station

Bob Hamilton roberthamilton at berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 11 11:37:45 EDT 2014

The University of California Microlab made a decision to obviate the use
of a tube wash circa 1987. We have not regretted that decision. Having
said this we do have a provision in one of our wetsinks to remove the
decking and do horizontal cleaning of fused silica tubes in the plenum
area of that sink. We fabricated vee-shaped supports to hold a furnace
tube, if needed.

Our decision to obviate cleans was based on our proximity to our quartz
vendor, inspection and a high confidence factor in their
post-fabrication cleaning facility, their use of polyethylene bags when
packing and shipping quartzware and our experience with process.

Your choice of HF and HNO3 infers, amongst other things, you will be
removing polysilicon from fused silica LPCVD tubes. In the Microlab and
now the Marvell NanoLab, which supersedes the Microlab, we do not clean
poly from our tubes.  We have chosen to run out tubes to failure, i.e.
"run-to-failure" This means poly tube replacements at somewhere between
350 - 500 u's of deposition. We do not see dep-thickness tube failures
in LTO or SiN dep processes. I'll explain how we pull this off.

Cleaning poly tubes requires cooling them off. To prevent
stress-cracking from cooldoan this means tubes must be pulled at ~50-100
u's of deposition. The benefits of cleaning are supposed to be lower
particle counts and longer tube life. Given our MEMS polysilicon needs
this would mean pulling tubes every 25-50 runs. Cleaning a tube requires
downtime, handling and a fair amount of acid.

In lieu of cleans we created "liners", i.e. sacrificial fused silica
cylinders designed to take most of the deposition. We also use a
split-liner to lay over our thermocouple. Liners crack from deposition;
however, the cracking of liners does not result in tube (vacuum)
failures. We have not noticed significant increases in particle counts
when running beyond 50-100 u's in our poly tubes (note, we have
dedicated MOS, MEMS, SiC, SiGe-MOS and SiGe-MEMS tubes).

In addition to these LPCVD tubes we run LPCVD LTO and SiN. In terms of
cleaning we install and treat these tubes the same way, from the vendors
polyethylene bagging directly to use. These tubes do not break from
deposition stress; therefore, we do not use liners. We do clean the rear
transitions of the nitride and LTO tubes as this area occludes from
depositions. A wet cleanroom towel placed in a cooled SIN rear
transition overnight loosens the NH4Cl deposit enough to clean it out.

How did our decision affect the quality of our films, particularly
atmospheric-oxide? Significant process monitoring confirms our furnaces
produce high quality films. Like LPCVD tubes atmospheric tubes are
placed right into service and then cleaned in situ using a classic
Trichloroethane bubbler and O2. We produce superb gate-ox.

In terms of particle management, cleaning quartzboats, dummy wafers and
pump forelines has been more important for particle control than tube
cleaning.

A final comment, if you use a free standing tube wash make sure it is
sited within secondary containment to prevent an acid spill. When these
things leak you have a frightful mess to clean up which may cause
future, serious damage. An anecdote; we had such an experience with a
set of cryopump line which ran across a floor that experienced a dilute
HCl spill. In spite of spill cleanup and HCl being a volatile acid the
lines corroded and began to leak about a year after exposure.

Regards,
Bob Hamilton

--
Robert Hamilton