[labnetwork] Span gauge replacements for gas cabinets

Tom Britton tbritton at criticalsystemsinc.com
Wed Oct 15 11:40:39 EDT 2014

Just to follow up on the discussion points that John made.

Air Products previously used Span's Indicating Pressure Switches and Transmitters with their GG450 and GG250 gas cabinets, rack units and VMBs. The measurement units were all in PSIG and for the transmitters, their output was 4-20mA. Excitation voltage was 11.5+ to 28 VDC. I don't remember any connection from Span other than Lower Mount and Center Back VCR or NPT. All of the pressure measurement devices used by Air Products from the GG450 to the latest AP10 and AP11 systems, all use the AMP style connector, which plugs into their AMP box. We add these connectors with all the electrical devices we put into their systems.

Span had an interesting run. For all who care, they actually spun off their liquid filled division to the Thuemling Group who provides gauges for most of the fire trucks made. The UHP division was private labeled by the tubing manufacturer Cardinal UHP back in the late 90s, and then sold to Mykrolis years ago. Mykrolis sold to Celerity, who continued with the MFCs, but pretty much ignored the pressure measurement side. Celerity sold to Brooks, who has taken an interest in the line and now somewhat produce it for sale. Kind of sad since Span was the premier brand back in the late 80's through mid-90's.

For switches today, we use the Wika 230-15 series as they are kind of the sole survivor in this market. http://wika.us/230_15w_851_3_en_us.WIKA  The indicating transmitter is the one that Dennis refers to. Ametek previously made the IPS and IPT indicating switches and gauges, but they ran into issues with the sensor and told me a little over a year ago that this wasn't high on their priority list anymore.

For transducers, we use the MKS 870 that John referred to, the Setra 225G or the Wika WUC-10. These are all PSIA for the readout and 4-20 mA. Excitation voltage is still the 11.5+ to 28 VDC.

Air Products originally went with all flow-through transducers with the thought that they could minimize surface area and eliminate a connection by staying away from the dead leg style transducers, but that produced an issue with maintainability if the transducer went bad. They also has problems with the strain gauges due to how the manufacturer had to build the body. Delamination and torque problems plagued Span and other manufacturers back in the 90's. Today Air Products, and CSI, go with dead leg style transducers, as they are easy to service and extremely reliable.

I hope this was on interest and helped.

Best to all,

Tom

Tom Britton