[labnetwork] Paging system

Hathaway, Malcolm hathaway at cns.fas.harvard.edu
Sat Oct 25 10:43:13 EDT 2014

Hi Iulian,

At Harvard CNS we have a PA system, which includes a small signal amp.  It is quite audible in all the bays (one speaker per bay).  We tried out "talk back" speakers, which allow you to converse with cleanroom occupants.  However, since these are not full-duplex (i.e. you can't both be talking at the same time) and they are voice/sound activated at the cleanroom-end, we had the problem of ambient cleanroom noise triggering the "talk back" end during incoming speech, breaking up the incoming speech and making it pretty much un-listenable.  So we opted for one-way speakers, and use the bay phones for two-way communication.  The problem was worst in the plasma equipment bay, with all the various pumps running, as one might expect.  In the quieter bays (metrology, etc) the talk-back units worked okay.

I don't have dB numbers.

We have not noticed a problem with cell-phone usage in our cleanroom, either electromagnetically or particle-wise.  Potential problems may be limited by the fact that only Verizon cellphones will work down there (we have a Verizon repeater on that level.)

Mac
Harvard CNS