[labnetwork] Paging system

Dennis Schweiger schweig at umich.edu
Wed Oct 29 06:52:37 EDT 2014

Iulian,

years ago, here at UofM, we had a paging system.  It was OK at best.  When
we did the renovation/expansion back in 2006-2008, we took the head end out
as part of the construction (it was in the demolished room) project.  We
just figured we'd find a better technology to use.  We've looked at VOIP
systems, in fact we were hell bent to install one, and had the ITCOM guys
on board as well, until we talked to our Public Safety department.  They
wanted all phones on campus to be 911 compatible, meaning that each handset
had to have a distinct location to support 911.  A VOIP system at the time
couldn't provide that.  Flash forward to 2014, and we're still talking
about a paging system, but it doesn't have the same attraction it once
did.  We do allow cell phone use in the the fab, in fact we went as far as
installing a BDA for a specific carrier to make sure we get good coverage
throughout the fab, and service aisles.

As for the video camera systems, we ran into the same issues mentioned.
Video is OK as long as you post that you're monitoring, and you keep it to
what can be construed as public areas (not a gender specific room).
Video/voice is not acceptable as surveillance.  It's too intrusive,
violates privacy concerns, no matter what paperwork is signed off.

I've often joked, that I'd like to build one more fab in my career, to
"fix" all of the things that we didn't know, didn't understand, at the time
we built this one.

If you want to discuss video monitoring systems, give me a shout. We're
just wrapping up the install of a new one here that will provide for about
90-95% coverage of the entire fab area.  There are some nooks and crannies,
like between tools, that may still be "dark" spaces.  We will pick these up
when we add cameras at each of the head cases on the wet benches.

Dennis Schweiger
University of Michigan/LNF

734.647.2055 Ofc