[labnetwork] SPTS (STS) Advanced Silicon Etcher

Roy Cork rc at danchip.dtu.dk
Tue Aug 18 04:13:03 EDT 2015

Hi Richard,

The jumpers as far as I remember effect the voltage to the motor and thus the speed (there are also some POTS that do the same). Normally they would have been setup in the factory by STS and wouldn't normally need to be changed (the AMC modules were used on many different matching systems and were setup to match the system). You could however fit the links if they are missing and see the effect just make sure you do it to the right AMC.

It sounds like you are trying to run a switched process from your description. If you have a problem with the coil matching then I would just try and optimize that part first so make a recipe with just the coil RF on. This is how I would tackle this...

*         Start by connecting a 50 ohm load to the RF generator. Take the RF cable out of the matching unit and plug it direct on the load. You should see the forward power you ask for and 0 Watts reflected. This proves the RF power supply is fine.

*         Without any power running open the coil matching unit. Remove the thick HV connections to the capacitors and connect a capacitance meter across each capacitor.

o   Drive the Coil and Load capacitors to 0. Note the capacitance value

o   Drive them to 50 and note the value

o   Drive them to 100 and note the value

o   Check the two Tune caps are in sync. IE you are getting roughly the same values. Make sure both the Load and Tune caps are spanning near enough the full range of capacitance

o   Any problems above then let me know and I can help you adjust this

*         Assuming the capacitors are OK. Make the HV connections again and re-assemble everything. Set the load and tune start positions in the recipe to 50% and run the process. If it doesn't strike or you can see the capacitors are shooting right to the extreme then press hold before it times out. Some tools have a software bug and when the RF doesn't strike and an error occurs the capacitors don't return to the start position. This means if you hit resume you are starting not from the start values you wrote in the recipe but from where you ended when the error appeared. You can get around this by trying to strike but pressing hold before the error appears. Try changing the start values (you can do this with the process on hold), 60 / 40 or 40 / 60. If nothing works then continue...

*         Try to find the capacitor match position by manual turning. Change the recipe so the capacitors are matched manually. Now when the process starts you will get a high reflected power but you can manually begin to tune the capacitors. Beware this is tricky and requires a lot of practice and you should be fast, a high reflected power for a sustained period can damage the RF power supply. I would start by moving the load cap to 40, watch the ref power carefully if it drops then small adjustments until it begins to rise again, keep it at the lowest ref power value. Do the same with the tune adjust it either higher or lower and watch the ref power if it goes up turn it the other way... it is not easy but you optimize the plasma this way. You may need to go back and forth between the load and tune making small adjustments (a bit like tuning a radio) When you know the values for 0 watts ref then in the recipe enter a 5% lower value for the load and 5% higher for the tune (remember to set the matching to automatic and restart the process). This way when the plasma turns on the capacitors move quickly to the optimum position and don't overshoot. (If the 5% values don't work then try the actual values)

I think I will stop there as there is a lot of info, I have also included a RF faults doc (from STS) but I'm not sure how helpful that is and also a slave motor PCB schematic but I'm not sure if that is the one in your system.

One final thing, I don't know your process but it can also be difficult to strike the plasma at a really low pressure. Try an initial strike pressure of around 10-15mTorr.

Best regards,
Roy