[labnetwork] Humidification System Design

Weaver, John R jrweaver at purdue.edu
Thu Feb 5 08:07:05 EST 2015

John –
The issue here is not so much particles as airborne molecular contaminants (AMCs). If the work that you are doing is sensitive to these airborne materials, then this is definitely a bad idea. If your work is sensitive only to particles, you can probably get away with this approach.
At the BNC, we went to extremes in this regard. We use specialized clean-steam generators (heat exchangers with campus steam) and our full ultrapure water. This minimizes – virtually eliminates – AMCs from the humidification process. It is a relatively expensive approach, but we also operate at ISO 3 (Class 1) as we have several very sensitive areas of research.
I would think that using pure RO water would be a good compromise, but it really depends on what your process and device sensitivity is.
John

John R. Weaver
Strategic Facilities Officer
Birck Nanotechnology Center