[labnetwork] Iron Oxide vs Chrome Mask plates

Grau, Jeffrey jeffg at illinois.edu
Tue Feb 10 10:21:13 EST 2015

Hello Kamal,
                My name is Jeff Grau and I am the Research Engineer at the University of Illinois. I have been involved in Photolithography for over 35 years. The most significant difference between Chrome and Iron Oxide masks is the ability to see through the Iron Oxide. This proves to be most beneficial when aligning the photomask. At extremely high magnification, one might see  sharper edge quality on the Chrome photomask, but taking into account the see-through ability of the Iron Oxide mask, this is a small trade off. You mention chrome masks being more expensive than Iron Oxide. Here in the States, the opposite is true. The cost difference between Iron Oxide and Chrome is approximately double.
                Roughly, 98 percent of all the photomasks being generated here at the University of Illinois are generated on Iron Oxide.
                I hope this helps….Jeff