[labnetwork] Conclusion: Heat trace issues on DCS gas lines

Vito Logiudice vito.logiudice at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Feb 10 13:30:05 EST 2015

Dear Colleagues,

Thank you very much to everyone whom took the time to write in with their insights on this issue. Special thanks to John Shott and Tom Britton for the photos and reference documents provided.

So that others may perhaps benefit from our experience, we've concluded that the cause of the premature failure appears to have been the presence of several "voids" where the heat trace was not in intimate contact with the SS tubing. This occurred even though the trace had been taped every 12 inches per the manufacturer's recommendations. We also noted voids at some elbows where maintaining contact was/is difficult.

To keep the issue from repeating itself in the future, our plan is to reinstall two new heat traces along the length of the tubing, one on the bottom and one on the top. One of these will remain active while the backup trace will be kept off and act as an insurance policy should the primary unit fail in the future. If anyone sees a problem with this particular approach, I would be glad to hear from you.

In the new installation, conductive putty will be used to fill any voids before aluminum tape is applied along the entire length of the line much like John showed in his attached photo. The entire assembly will then be re-insulated per the original design specification. Fortunately, the problem occurred under warranty so our only out-of-pocket cost will be limited to the cost of the backup heat trace (a few hundred dollars).

Regards,
Vito