[labnetwork] Power Conditioning?

Dennis Schweiger schweig at umich.edu
Thu Feb 26 09:41:11 EST 2015

When we built the addition to our existing fab, we looked into something
that would allow us to ride through the 1-10 second power interruptions
that seemed to plague this area.  We designed our entire power distribution
grid for the new addition around a flywheel  based system, but as of yet,
have never proceeded any farther with the implementation.  The three
biggest hurdles are cost (at the time it was about $1K/Kw), sizing the unit
(both in capacity, and physical location), and finally determining which
equipment, or parts of equipment, should be backed up.  We were looking at
a 500Kw unit, which wasn't large enough to back up everything, but it would
have captured all of the computer systems, cryo pumps, and assorted
electronic hardware.  To back up (ride through) for the entire new
facility, we would have needed somewhere between 800-900 Kw.  We've been
on-line with the new facility since about 2010, and have managed OK without
the fly wheel system, however we have added local UPS units at critical
locations.  The flywheel system would have only helped in the new fab
areas.  We would still have had about half of the facility (the original
fab areas) unsupported.

We also have a 60Kw UPS that backs up our life safety systems (computers,
gas detection, several dry pumps, some abatement), which is backed up by
one of our natural gas fired generators.

We've found, that by instilling a 24/7 technical on-call program (voluntary
in participation), we've been able to manage the power disturbance risks,
and provide a more cost effective support for the entire fab operation.

DennisSchweiger
University of Michigan/LNF

734.647.2055 Ofc