[labnetwork] expired process gas

Bob Hamilton roberthamilton at berkeley.edu
Mon Jan 12 10:53:12 EST 2015

Colleagues,

Following up on Kamal's 1/9 post, in the case of excimer laser gas the
expiration date is critical. This is confirmed by higher firing
voltages, (bad) required with old excimer mix.

As in the case of eximcer gas, acid gases react with steel cylinder
walls. I would argue smaller cylinders, with a larger surface-to-volume
ratio exacerbate this situation. This, along with the often higher price
for smaller cylinders is another argument against "smaller is better
(safer)" when discussing reactive gas cylinders.

In the case of diborane, its stability vs. time is influenced by its
percentage and the diluent it is mixed with. From memory diborane's
equilibrium is better in H2 than in SiH4. When, after years of use,
plumbing for a diborane delivery line is reviewed, one sees the higher
order borane polymers coating surfaces. This is an argument to routine
evacuate the gas-stick (valves, mfc, P xducer, etc.) post deposition.

Bob Hamilton

--
Robert Hamilton
University of California at Berkeley
bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
Phone: 510-809-8600
Mobile: 510-325-7557 (Emergencies only poor cell phone service in lab)e-mail preferred

bob at eecs.berkeley.edu
Phone: 510-809-8600
Mobile: 510-325-7557 (Emergencies only poor cell phone service in lab)e-mail preferred